Bill Moyers Biography
Billy Moyers (Billy Don Moyers) is an American journalist and political commentator. He also served as the ninth White House Press Secretary under the Johnson administration from 1965 to 196. He has worked as a network TV news commentator for ten years. He has been extensively involved with public broadcasting, producing documentaries and news journal programs. He has won numerous awards and honorary degrees for his investigative journalism and civic activities. He has become famous as a trenchant critic of the corporately structured U.S. news media.
Bill Moyers Age
The American journalist and political commentator was born June 5, 1934, Hugo, Oklahoma, U.S. He is 82 years old as of the year 2018.
Bill Moyers Photo
Bill Moyers Marriage/Children
He married Judith Suzanne Davidson (a producer) on 18 December 1954. They have three children and five grandchildren. His son William Cope Moyers who is CNN producer, Hazelden Foundation spokesman struggled to overcome alcoholism and crack addiction. John Moyers assisted in the foundation of TomPaine.com, “an online public affairs journal of progressive analysis and commentary.”
Bill Moyers Education
He originally trained for the Baptist ministry where he was ordained in 1954 and received a master of divinity degree from the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1959. During that time he also studied journalism (B.A.) in 1956 at the University of Texas. In 1961 he joined the Peace Corps and soon became its deputy director from 1962 to 1963.
Bill Moyers Books
- La Curacion y la Mente.
- The Language of Life: A Festival of Poets.
- Moyers on Democracy.
- The Conversation Continues.
- Moyers on America: A Journalist and His Times.
Bill Moyers Quotes
- Creativity is piercing the mundane to find the marvelous.
- When I learn something new – and it happens every day – I feel a little more at home in this universe, a little more comfortable in the nest.
- Secrecy is the freedom tyrants dream of.
- Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.
- For the first time in our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of power in Washington.
- Ideas are great arrows, but there has to be a bow. And politics is the bow of idealism.
- War, except in self-defense, is a failure of moral imagination.
- As a student, I learned from wonderful teachers and ever since then I’ve thought everyone is a teacher.
- Democracy belongs to those who exercise it.
Bill Moyers Awards
He won several awards such as;
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing in 2009.
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Historical Programming-Long Form in 2010.
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Best Story in a Newsmagazine in 2004, 2008 up to now.
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Investigative Journalism – Long Form in 2002.
- WGA Award for Best News – Analysis, Feature or Commentary – Television in 2013,2009, and 2004.
- Peabody Award in 2004.
Bill Moyers Nominations
News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Interview, WGA Award for Best Documentary – Other Than Current Events – Television, WGA Award for Best Documentary – Current Events – Television, TCA Career Achievement Award, News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding News Discussion.